Green to Gold

The Green to Gold program seeks talented young enlisted soldiers who have decided to leave, or are considering leaving, active duty to attend college.

Quality enlisted soldiers with officer potential who have served at least two years on active duty are allowed to voluntarily request discharge from active duty, and enroll in Army ROTC to earn baccalaureate degrees and commissions as Second Lieutenants.

  • Scholarships are awarded for two, three, or four years.
  • Soldiers with two years of college remaining to complete their degree are considered for two-year scholarships.
  • Soldiers with three years of college remaining to complete their degree are considered for three-year scholarships.
  • Soldiers without college credit who require four years to complete their degree are considered for four-year scholarships.


Green to Gold Scholarship Option winners receive:

  • Tuition or room and board support
  • Additional money for textbooks, supplies, and equipment.
  • A monthly stipend for up to 10 months each school year that increases each year based on your Military Science Class.  ($300-$500 monthly tax-free)
  • Pay for attending Advanced Camp between the junior and senior years of college.
  • If qualified, Montgomery G.I. Bill / Army College Fund (MGIB/ACF) benefits.
  • Additionally, many colleges and universities offer incentives to scholarship winners. The Professor of Military Science (PMS) at your college of choice can provide further information on what is available at the school.

In addition to the financial incentives, Soldiers receive additional benefits as ROTC Cadets. These benefits include:

  • Leadership training
  • Responsibility and Practical Experience
  • Mentorship of the PMS/APMS
  • Camaraderie


  • U.S. Citizen (non-waiver-able)
  • Age – Be under 31 years of age on 31 December of the year you complete all requirements for a commission and a college baccalaureate degree. This is a statutory requirement and there are no waivers authorized.
  • Cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Crime
  • Have a minimum of 2 years Active Duty as well as 3 months of Active Duty for every one month of specialized training (waiver can be requested)
  • GT score of 110 or greater
  • Pass the APFT within the last 6 months with score of 180 or higher, minimum of 60 points in each event
  • Be a High School Graduate or equivalent
  • Cumulative High School or College GPA of 2.5
  • Letter of Acceptance to School of Choice offering Army ROTC
  • Letter of Acceptance from the PMS of that Army ROTC Battalion
  • Favorable National Agency Check (or have initiated the action)
  • DODMERB Medical Qualification
  • Be eligible to Reenlist
  • Not be a conscientious objector
  • No more than 3 dependents including spouse (waiver-able)

Frequently Asked Questions on the Army ROTC
Green to Gold Program

Where do I enroll, and when?
You enroll in Army ROTC the same time you enroll in college. Army ROTC courses may be taken at more than 800 colleges and universities. Army ROTC is offered at 270 schools. The remaining schools are those with partnership agreements. At a partnership school, you take your academic course work at the college at which you earn your degree. You take your ROTC work at a “host” institution nearby.

Can I enroll in ROTC while on active duty?
No. You must be enrolled in college full time to be a member of Army ROTC. There is no way to carry a full load of college work while on active duty.

Can I apply for a 4-Year Green to Gold Scholarship if I already have some college credit? 
Yes, as long as the college accepts you as an academic freshman and you have four years remaining in your course of study.

If I reenlist, how much time must I complete on my second enlistment? 
There is no minimum requirement. If you are selected for the Green to Gold program, you may be released from active duty regardless of the amount of time remaining on your second enlistment.

Can I apply for a 2- or 3-Year Scholarship if I do not have the proper number of credit hours but expect to have them prior to Fall enrollment?
Yes. You must have a letter from the school that you wish to attend stating that you are conditionally accepted as an academic junior or sophomore contingent upon completing the required number of credit hours. If you win a scholarship, you are a conditional winner pending acceptance at the school. You must provide proof of the required number of credit hours and unconditional acceptance by the university prior to your discharge.

Can a soldier who previously won an ROTC scholarship, and who was disenrolled from it, apply for a Green to Gold Scholarship?
No. Cadet Command Regulation 145-1 paragraph 9a clearly states that scholarship winners who disenroll for any reason are ineligible to compete in any ROTC scholarship program.

Can I take terminal leave with my early discharge? 
No. Terminal leave cannot be taken in conjunction with early discharge IAW AR 600-200.

Where can I ship my household goods? 
Your entitlement for the shipment of household goods is back to your home of record. If the cost to ship your goods to your school of choice is more than to ship it to your home of record than you will be responsible for the difference.

I understand that veterans are not required to take the freshman and sophomore level ROTC classes. Will I have to take these courses if I get a 3- or 4-Year Scholarship? 
Yes, you will have to take these courses. As a scholarship winner you are a contracted cadet and must enroll in and successfully complete the basic course IAW the contract. As a 2-Year Scholarship winner or nonscholarship cadet your prior experience satisfies the basic course requirements.

I am in the Marines (or Navy or Air Force). Can I apply for a Green to Gold Scholarship? 
Members of sister services are not eligible for Green to Gold scholarships but may participate in the nonscholarship program.

Apply Online for the Green to Gold Program

To pursue one of the Green to Gold programs, click below to create a MY GOARMY account or log in with an existing account. After creating an account, return to this page to login and start the application.

  • Take the Next Step: Create An Account

Already a member? Log In

To check the status of your application Click Here

  • Archives